This month’s issue is tackling a challenging topic: handcrafted hair care products. If you’ve been curious about shampoo bars, or looking for a truly great recipe, or even wanting to add more products to your hair care line, you’re going to love this issue a lot!
There are actually three different shampoo bar recipes included in these pages, two of them are soap based and the third one is a “syndet” (short for synthetic detergent) bar. All three are formulated by soapmakers with many years of experience, and the shampoos have been researched, tested, and approved by their many customers and fellow soapmakers. Many thanks to our two new Soap Collaborative writers and shampoo bar formulators, Liz Ardlady and Shannon DeVaul, for their generosity in sharing with you, our readers.
But we don’t want to just stop at shampoo bars – we want you and your customers to have a full hair care line. Our writers have cooked up some truly fabulous tutorials for you so you can also learn to make (and customize) a leave-in conditioner and detangler to go with any of the shampoo bars, a deep conditioning hair mask for damaged hair, herb infused hair oil for healthy hair and scalp, and even a dry shampoo that’s perfect for travel, camping trips, after the gym, or anytime you don’t have time to wash your hair. Big thank you’s to Jo Haslauer, Sue Finley, Theresa Mendez, and Amanda Gail for making our hair care issue an invaluable resource for hair product formulating.
Also in this issue are articles to help you run your business, including outsourcing to free up your time, how businesses “give back” to their communities, and a FABULOUS step-by-step guide to creating a catalog and line sheet. Special thanks to Alyssa Middleton, Angela Carillo, and Benjamin Aaron for sharing their business expertise.
In this issue:
- How to Formulate a Syndet Shampoo Bar, Shannon DeVaul
- How to Formulate a Soap for Hair, Liz Ardlady
- Making Soap for Hair: Microwave Hot Process, Kathy White
- Create More Free Time This Summer by Outsourcing, Alyssa Middleton
- Charity: Is It Important to Your Business to Give Back?, Angela Carillo
- Monoi Leave-In Hair Conditioner & Detangler, Jo Haslauer
- Dry Shampoo with Natural Ingredients, Amanda Gail
- Herb Infused Hair Oil, Theresa Mendez
- DIY Wholesale Catalog & Linesheet, Benjamin Aaron
- Ultra Luxurious Hair Mask, Suzanne Finley
- Raising the Bar: Lovin’ Soap Project Update, Benjamin Aaron